Nile Vocational Institute (NVI) is a private Christian inter – denominational Vocational Training Institute located in Njeru – Buikwe District 11/2kms along Nyenga Road off the Kampala – Jinja highway after Nytil Picfare and vitafoam factories.
Nile Vocational Institute was established by African Evangelistic Enterprise – Uganda in 1988 in partnership with Kindernothilfe, a German childcare organization to offer Vocational skills training to the vulnerable youth in the country. This establishment was as an aftermath of the rising number of orphaned children due to the HIV/Aids scourge, and the civil war that the country had undergone. It was recently accredited by National Council for Higher Education.
NVI sits on 17 acres of land on plot 88/101 in Bukaya – Njeru with boarding facilities for the students.
• Develop standards and guidelines that enhance quality in students’ performance in both internal and external assessments.
• Attain and maintain recommended quality and quantity of human resource.
• Enhance efficiency and effectiveness in operations i.e. resource collection, allocation and utilization.
• Promote NVI institution visibility, positive image and relations with stakeholders at local and international levels.
• Enhance and promote community based training.
Vision: A centre for regional and international vocational reference.
Mission: To change and influence the quality and meaning of life of the youth and vulnerable persons through Vocational skills training for self sustainability.
Motto: “JOB MAKERS NOT JOB SEEKERS”
Values: God Fearing, Discipline, Quality of Work, Hard Work, Honesty and Time Management
The nature of training is formal and non – formal, for primary and secondary school leavers and also those interested in acquiring Vocational skills. Enrolment is on term and semester basis. Upon successful completion of training, certificates are awarded. In addition, Diplomas are awarded in Catering and Hotel Management, Early Childhood Development, Secretarial studies and Accountancy. The trainees are subjected to 4 months of exposure to industries/work environment. This is mandatory for all students.
The non – formal training is conducted at the campus for 3 to 6 months. This is sponsored by the Ministry of Education & Sports, under the skilling Uganda non formal training program.
Courses offered at the Institute are categorized into Domestic and Building courses.
• Domestic courses are; Catering and Hotel Management, Early Childhood Development and Textile Technology.
• Building courses are; Block laying and Concreting Practice, Plumbing and Metal Sheet Work, Electrical Installation, and Carpentry and Joinery.
• Other courses include, Motor Vehicle Mechanics, Tractor Driving & Operations, Business Studies, Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy, Welding and Agriculture.
Our students are examined by the Directorate of Industrial Training (DIT) which tests the practical competences of trainees, and Uganda Business Technical examinations Board (UBTEB), all under the Ministry of Education and Sports. The students are also subjected to examinations according to the Institute requirements.
NVI partners with local communities to conduct Community Based Training (CBT) programs in Ssi and Ngogwe sub counties in Buikwe District and also in Nambaale sub county in Iganga District. CBT training targets the poorest of the poor women and the youth who are unable to continue with education.
Management and the Governing Council formulates policies and gives guidelines and direction to the general running of the Institute. The Institute is headed by the Director.
Management, Training and Support Staff number to 128, majority of whom are teaching staff, employed on both contract and part time basis.
Held once a year on the first Friday during the month of October, by which dates less than 75% of the graduands are already employed.